Re: spinlock on Alpha ES40

From: Pat O'Rourke (orourke@mclinux.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 10:38:36 EST

> The "stuck" message just means that the spin_lock() routine (really
> debug_spin_lock()) thinks that it has waited too long to get the particular
> lock.

In looking over debug_spin_lock() I see that it uses a hard coded value as
an indicator of "too long":

        stuck = 1L << 28;

Is it possible that this value (as large as it is) is too small for some of
the newer CPUs?

> > Sometimes, the machine goes completely catatonic and should be
> > resetted. Less often the system really crashes. My estimate is that

There may be situations (e.g. certain paths during interrupt handling) where
doing a printk to the console is a bad idea. I have seen this on the other
OSs.

Pat

--
Patrick O'Rourke