Re: 2.2.16 fatal Oops

From: Whit (whit@transpect.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 12:36:50 EST

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 08:42:29PM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Please, use proper kernel, namely 2.2.17ac.

Alexey,

Oh, I see, Alan Cox names his 2.3.x patch series with the 'ac' suffix.
However, for the 2.2's he uses 'pre'. Which is what I'm running now, and
from the list archives it looks like auctionnet was having exactly the same
problem, for which there is a prospective fix for that problem in the most
recent patch sets (again, the problem is one I've had and reported in every
2.2 version from 2.2.13 up - including the 'pre' versions). So I'm really,
really hoping it works now, since I've put hundreds of hours of work into
trying to get this system stable. Generally Linux servers don't _need_ 24x7
oversight to keep them up. Since mid-94 they've been incredibly stable for
me with this one exception. This has really eaten into other projects,
between attending the system, and trying everything conceivable (including
total one-piece-at-a-time hardware replacement) to stabilize it.

I believe in the open soure process. But the process is finally only as good
as its ability to productively deal with bug reports. And I sincerely thank
you for trying to help with this one.

 \/\/ I-I I T
 Blauvelt
 whit@transpect.com