Re: IA64 version of 2.4.0-test1 has compile errors/config errors

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 11:26:54 EST

David Mosberger wrote:

> Yes, no effort has been made to make the kernel build (or even
> configuration) particularly easy for the common user. It's probably
> time to start thinking about that. Any volunteers? Just having help
> descriptions for the configuration options would be a very good start.

You would probably be the most competent person to do this since you own
the port.

> Yes, but honestly it's virtually impossible to do this perfectly
> unless and until Linus switches over to IA-64 as his main development
> platform. And guess what that would do to the x86 tree...

Let's all storm Intel's doors and demand that they send Linus a system.
I will be out there next week with Sunil and Stu Goosen, and I'll
suggest that they should send him one if they have not already. He
should have one of these systems I would think so he can evaluate the
completeness of the IA64 port and determine how he wants to handle it

BTW. Thanks for the help, I will download the fixes and test. I
finally got it building and working, but it sounds like you identified
the area and fixed them. I think everyone appreciates your efforts
here, esspecially me.

:-)

Jeff