re: Hang during boot with IDE Zip drive

From: ken moffat (ken@kenmoffat.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 15:44:21 EST

Jeremy Beker wrote
> ... I have a Dell branded "IDE" (not ATAPI) zip drive in my computer. In
> kernels > 2.2.14 (including 2.2.16) and in every 2.3 kernels I have tested,
> when the kernel gets to the partition check stage, it just gets an endless
> loop of "lost interrupt" messages for hdd (my zip).
> The only way around this is to append "hdd=noprobe" to the kernel. Any
> help would be much appreciated.

This was also logged by Andre Cornelis van Veen in January. It hit me recently,
when I reinstalled using Mandrake 7.0 with kernel 2.2.14. I thought they'd got
the wrong compilation options until I'd tried tweaking everything in the
config. Andre noted that boot-up is OK if you have a zip disk in the drive,
although I don't like leaving one there.

The problem appeared in 2.2.14 and is still in 2.2.17pre4. I think it's in
drivers/block/ide.c which changed to version 6.19 in 2.2.14. Function
ide_timer_expiry used to call start_next_request which had a return option
which had been used in this situation (in v6.18 / 2.2.13). The current code
doesn't seem to have any way out. It looks to me like there was a significant
rewrite, any advice would be appreciated.

Ken.