RE: Events

From: oliver (oliver@zeroknowledge.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 18:54:10 EST

        Wel lots of people have suggested better ways to do this without thousands
of events but...

> We made a test system with about 8000 file descriptor. It
> worked fine when we rebuilt the Kernel. The only problem the
> Linux is too good to make this kind of stupid programs.
>
> I've taken a look to the Kernel. And I think we could make a
> new type of file descriptor only for events.

<snip>
> I've also check out the pthread library, but I couldn't find
> usefull the implementation of the events in the pthread.
> I think this kind of stuff should be in the Kernel.

        Er, it's very easy to implement both automatic and manual win32 events on
top of pthread condition variables. An event can be implemented as a
condition variable with a three state predicate, one for unset, one for set,
and one for pulsed. There is no reason I can think of why you would want
this in the kernel if your only synchronizing between the threads in a
process.

        Condition variables are like events that somebody took the time to
implement in a reasonably smart way.

Cheers
~ol