Re: Events

From: volodya@mindspring.com
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 10:01:32 EST

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Alex Belits wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Steve Grubb wrote:
>
> > Actually Gyorgy points out something that I've been looking for too.
>
> There can be two types of things that can happen in a system -- ones you
> can somehow wait for in poll() or select() and ones that you can't wait
> for in poll() or select(), no matter what you do (with
> pipes/handlers/...). In usable unixlike OS the second type does not exist
> ;-)

Well, can one update me on the status of "select on
directory" ? I.e. opening directory and selecting it for modifications -
_very_ useful in filemanagers..

                        Vladimir Dergachev
PS I recall a discussion a while back on this (and O_DIRECTORY flag), but
I don't know whether it made it into linux kernels.