Re: Floppy handling

From: James Manning (jmm@computer.org)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 17:03:30 EST

[Jamie Lokier]
> But I've never used a unix editor that keeps a file open, not even to
> lock the file. (Emacs can lock files without keeping anything open.
> Other editors like Gimp, vi, xfig, even Netscape composer etc. don't keep
> files open).

vim (most likely the most popular vi clone) keeps a swap file open.
after "touch a" then run "vim a" and you'll get:

jmm@bp6:/home/jmm> ls -l /proc/`pidof vim`/fd
total 0
lrwx------ 1 jmm jmm 64 Jun 23 18:01 0 -> /dev/pts/4
lrwx------ 1 jmm jmm 64 Jun 23 18:01 1 -> /dev/pts/4
lrwx------ 1 jmm jmm 64 Jun 23 18:01 2 -> /dev/pts/4
lrwx------ 1 jmm jmm 64 Jun 23 18:01 4 -> /tmp/.a.swp

While this isn't the file being edited, it's in the same location, and
as such will have the same issues regarding floppy access.

James