Re: /etc/modules.conf and USB

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 18:28:21 EST

Johannes Erdfelt writes:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2000, Frank van Maarseveen <F.vanMaarseveen@inter.NL.net> wrote:
> > Maybe usbdevfs should list devices by UUID (if it exists) and permit
> > the owner to rename the thing.
> > Maybe usbdevfs could remember this all UUID based across remounts.
> >
> > Now, if someone could only come up with a clean way to preserve UUID
> > based information for a *devfs (_not_ tar and certainly not built-in in
> > *devfs itself)...

On the issue of permissions, people should note that this has been
cleaned up a lot in recent months. A couple of months ago I added easy
support for saving and restoring permissions into a separate directory
tree. This is done by devfsd. Note that the facility was always
available, just that you no longer need to write a script to do this.

So, no tar kludges needed. Just use a regular FS to store permissions.

In fact, I've recently worked out a neat twist, thanks to the VFS
bindings we now have. You can get devfsd to save/restore the
permissions right into the disc-based /dev (even when devfs is mounted
over /dev). This means you can install devfs on a system and all your
old state magically gets used, and updated if you do things like:
# chmod g+r /dev/mem

And this is all possible without the in-kernel "tunnelling" I was
starting to implement. It's done nicely in user-space with devfsd, so
you can also add all kinds of policy as you wish.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca