kernel BUG at buffer.c:1459! (2.4.0-test1-ac22-riel + reiserfs 3.6.9)

From: Ookhoi (ookhoi@dds.nl)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 04:41:31 EST

Hi!

I did:
mkreiserfs -h rupasov /dev/sda5
mkdir /tmp/home
mount /dev/sda7 /tmp/home
cd /home
find . -xdev | cpio -vdump /tmp/home
umount /tmp/home

then it said:

kernel BUG at buffer.c:1459!
invalid operand: 0000
CPU: 0
etc. (can give the whole error, but have to copy it by hand, and
buffer.c:1459 says:

/**
 * discard_buffer - discard that buffer without doing any IO
 * @bh: buffer to discard
 *
 * This function removes a buffer from all the queues, without doing
 * any IO, we are not interested in the contents of the buffer. This
 * function can block if the buffer is locked.
 */
static inline struct buffer_head *discard_buffer(struct buffer_head *
bh)
{
  struct buffer_head *next;

  if (bh->b_dev == B_FREE)
    BUG(); <=== 1459

  next = bh->b_this_page;

  unmap_buffer(bh);

  spin_lock(&lru_list_lock);
  write_lock(&hash_table_lock);
  spin_lock(&unused_list_lock);

  if (atomic_read(&bh->b_count))
    BUG();

The error is caused by umount (according to the error), and umount
itself stops with a Segmentation fault.

/home contains one fresh home dir with only .bash_logout, .bash_profile
and .bashrc

After this the reiserfs partition is not mounted anymore (ls /tmp/home
is empty), but the entry is still in /etc/mtab
A new mount /dev/sda7 /tmp/home hangs in D state, and can't be killed
sync /dev/sda3 (ext2) (gives OK), but hangs on /dev/sda7. (shutdown -r
now also hangs of course).

After reboot, I can mount the reiserfs partition oke, can umount it oke,
mount it again oke, touch a new file, umount it oke, mount it oke, cp
/usr/src/linux-2.4.0-test1.tar.gz to it, umount fails again.

If I sync after the cp instead of umount, sync hangs.

This is kernel 2.4.0-test1-ac22-riel and reiserfs 3.6.9
Adaptec AHA-2940 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter with a QUANTUM ATLAS_V_18_WLS

Please mail me if more info is needed.

                Ookhoi