Re: Regarding File System Testing..

From: Daniel Quinlan (quinlan@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 05:44:36 EST

shiv agarwal <shiv.agarwal@eng.sun.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am given task of testing the file system. I am testing all the user
> command and common system calls which a file system provide but I think
> this is not sufficient.
>
> Could anybody suggest me some documents or URLs which state some
> possible test cases which test file system stressfully.

1. VSX-PCTS test suite (includes tests for POSIX.1) being ported and
   worked on by the Linux Standard Base project:

   http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=1107
   (check out the "tests" module)

   If you write new filesystem tests, I would encourage you to contribute
   them back into the Linux Standard Base test suite.

2. Connectathon NFS test suite (for NFS, but could be used to test any
   filesystem with minimal modification)

   http://www.connectathon.org/nfstests.html

3. VFAT test suite (somewhat specific to VFAT)

   http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/vfat.html

4. benchmarks

   You want to be careful here. Many filesystem benchmarks don't
   bother verifying the correctness of the filesystem. In addition,
   they often only test a few calls: read, write, and lseek.

Dan