Re: IMMUTABLE and APPEND-ONLY rationales

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 01:56:43 EST

> That means I have to use an extra command. I'm a student, and I'm lazy. If
> users want to protect their files : chmod 600 does the trick, and with a
> 600 dir you'r safe.
>
> > I'm sorry, but I don't see that as a valid rationale.
>
> It doesn't make sense for normal users to have immutable / append only
> privs.

Yes it does. Virtual sites where you give admins control over their own
section. They may want to chattr file(s) immutable or append only just incase
one of their scripts develops a 'feature'.

Users may also be instructing others in a classroom environment and don't need
the hassle of students going around screwing up files but don't want to give
their apprentices root authority.

There are several reasons why it would be nice to have special flags avail to
normal users.

rm -rf <dir> removes a dir tree regardless of the modes applied to it if the user
owns it. there's no protection there. chattr +i|a is an extra safegard that
many people, myself included, enjoy for both user and root.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was