How broken is the W89c840chip?

From: Johan S. Seland (johans@ifi.uio.no)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 14:06:49 EST

I just got myself an el cheapo 100MB NIC, with drivers from Donald
Beckers page. (http://www.scyld.com)

On these pages it is stated that:

--
The current revision of the Winbond 840 appears to have a horribly
broken transmit queue. Only 2048 bytes can be allowed into the

The driver compiles and loads nicely. (On 2.2.x at least :-) But when I try to send any data over it I get TONS of these messages:

Jun 24 20:26:44 surplomb kernel: eth1: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, entry 0x1 status 80000000!

The entry number climbs from 0x1 and upwards (increment by 1 each time) until I bring down the interface.

Is this just a result of the broken transmit queue, or is it driver/kernel related?

I tried it on 2.2.14(both SMP and UP, stock RedHat 6.2 kernel) and on 2.2.16 and 2.2.17pre6 with the latest drivers from ftp.scyld.com (v1.0)

System is a 2xP2/350 Asus P2B-DS, 192MB RAM. Using both IDE disks, and SCSI throug the AIC7xxx driver.

-- joS˛e