X hangs with 2.2.0-test{1-acXX,2} kernels

From: Nils Philippsen (nils@fht-esslingen.de)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 09:59:12 EST

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure whether I should blame this on X or the kernel, but as this
didn't happen with older kernels, here we are:

In the last time (read: with recent kernels), X froze a) when the system was
idle and APM kicked in or b) immediately as I printed something out of
Netscape.

The kernel itself wasn't affected as it (in case b) happily continued printing
and logging.

I'm not sure whether this is to blame on my (strange?) setup or not:

- Riva 128 PCI
- VESA framebuffer, because rivafb suffers of an off-by-2-or-something buglet
  so that 2 pixels of the leftmost characters showup in the previous scanline
  on the righthand side (no module -- the freeze happened with rivafb anyway)
- "video=rivafb:pmipal,mtrr" on the kernel command line, due to "have
  forgotten to take that out", maybe I ought to test it without this
- XFree86-3.3.6, SVGA server
- most recent kernel tested is 2.4.0-test2 w/ MTRR support (I'll send my
  .config on request, don't want to spam the list)

Nils

--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils@wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils@fht-esslingen.de / nils@redhat.de