Re: the ridiculously large granularity of "errno" (was Red Hat problem on a cobalt server)

From: Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 10:35:44 EST

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 01:09:26AM -0500, Alan Curry wrote:

> David S. Miller writes the following:
> >
> >The path to the perl binary is wrong on the first line
> >of your hello.pl script.
>
> Obvious, wasn't it? You could also guess that the first line of the hello.pl
> script is #!/usr/bin/perl^M and have a pretty good chance of being right.

On our webservers we have symlinked perl^M to perl in the past, but it's
not obvious whether this is the best thing to do as this usually means
the script was uploaded with the wrong mode unintentionally and can break
some scripts. I have yet to see anything break any more than it would be
without this symlink, though. *shrug*

Although, this seems to work in either case:

if (length("
" > 1){
        print "Hi, you uploaded me with the ``binary'' FTP mode.\n";
}

...So maybe it wouldn't break anything.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]