Re: nr_files in linux-2.4.0-test2

From: goingware.com (crawford@dragnet.seagull.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 16:18:07 EST

> The BSS is zero filled. If it isnt starting as zero then something bad is
> happening and that needs to be discovered

Maybe this doesn't happen to everyone but I think it would be an important thing
to watch out for.

I don't know how asserts are coded in the kernel, but I would suggest picking
out a few BSS symbols and asserting they are zero right when the kernel starts
up and panicking if they're not.

Another thing to assert is that a global variable is actually equal to the
value you initialize it to be.

I guess when you're booting off the program that is supposed to be so initialized
then you'd want to have these asserts after the executable is fully loaded.