Re: the ridiculously large granularity of "errno" (was Red Hat

From: Bernd Eckenfels (ecki@lina.inka.de)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 18:11:41 EST

In article <20000625073635.8922.qmail@defiant.cqc.com> you wrote:
> OK, obviously it is undesirable to break `if(errno==ENOENT)' in cases where
> the author has taken the necessary precautions to insure he's actually caught
> the right error. A second error channel would have to be added to carry more
> detailed information. And such an interface would take years to reach
> widespread use, even ignoring the time that would inevitably be wasted by
> squabbling over minute details. Nevermind

Actually there are two more channels right now, one is used for example in
the Resolver (herror) and the other is a diag message to syslog.

We could modify strerror to return a more verbose error, by accessing an
internal additional minor error value, but the problem with this is (like
herrno) that is is not reentrtant nor threadsafe nor sane.

We can only hope applications get more user friendly. A shell for example
CAN actally check if the #!/ interpreter is found and notice the user about
it. It is such a common error that in this case we dont need an additional
errno... with the big advantage that thos shell will work on all unices more
user friendly.

Greetings
Bernd