Re: mm 2.2.17pre6

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 19:29:42 EST

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I proposed both (sync_page_buffers cames from 2.4.x, btw) but while
> they're stable and the free_before_allocate is a fix, I believe they're
> actually hurting performance.

> So the below patch reverse the `ret` thing for the apparent oom problem
> that I had. Again I don't care if mmap002 fails on 8mbyte box.

Andrea, people have had *databases* fail on big machines without
these patches.

I agree that we want better performance, but doing so at the
cost of stability simply isn't acceptable.

A few things we *could* do are:
- try to have most dirty pages flushed by kflushd
- get the small race back into __get_free_pages
  (there's just about *no* chance we'll hit it)
- decrease the number of pages freed in try_to_free_pages
  to something like 4 or 8 (still 4 times more than the
  one we allocate)
- if (balance_dirty_state(NODEV) > 0), let kflushd do the
  syncing instead of stalling in shrink_mmap (but wait
  on bdflush and try the whole try_to_free_pages run again
  if we failed because of dirty pages)

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.