Re: UDMA(33)/(66) or What the heck is going on?

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 03:25:35 EST

andre@linux-ide.org (Andre Hedrick) writes:

>66MHz is stupid! on an ATA-bus......
>RTFSC!

>You get 25/33/37/41 MHz for the "idebus speed" Nowhere can you find
>clockings for 66MHz.

>You should be damn lucky the code is smarter than the user or you would
>have vaporized your disk!

Andre,

while we really adore what you did for IDE support and IDE DMA on Linux,
could you please just state in some simple lines,

- what is the normal and recommended clock for IDE-devices on the various buses
- what the different clocks really mean
- what you recommend as settings with hdparm, kernel, command line and all
  the other various tweaks
- a list of "GOOD" and "BAD" chipsets (Vendor A goood, Vendor B baaad would
  IMHO help a lot)
- and a small list of "DOs" and "DON'Ts" would be really great

We've already established that your code ist gods' gift to mankind in
regards to IDE; it is much smarter than all the users so this is why
we all should "RTFSC".

But then again a 50 lines README file in the driver distribution would
maybe help you a thousand times more than any vitriolic outbreak.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20