Re: UDMA(33)/(66) or What the heck is going on?

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 04:17:12 EST

> Andre,
>
> while we really adore what you did for IDE support and IDE DMA on Linux,
> could you please just state in some simple lines,

Where would you best suggest?

Configure.help is where I try to get the info correct.

> - what is the normal and recommended clock for IDE-devices on the various buses
> - what the different clocks really mean
> - what you recommend as settings with hdparm, kernel, command line and all
> the other various tweaks
> - a list of "GOOD" and "BAD" chipsets (Vendor A goood, Vendor B baaad would
> IMHO help a lot)
> - and a small list of "DOs" and "DON'Ts" would be really great

Sorry about the blow out, just a freaked reaction of the 66MHz issue.
Not anywhere near, that level...because I goofed and allowed one person
to sucessfully invoke an operation that I did not consider.

Yes, this all would have been avoided had I gotten off my arse and did it.

> But then again a 50 lines README file in the driver distribution would
> maybe help you a thousand times more than any vitriolic outbreak.

Noted, the problem is that I do not express myself well :-(
Ask anyone about my writing skills......I can tell someone clearly face to
face. I am afriad that I would cause more problems trying to explain the
things needed than to try and make the code near bullet proof.

If I could get someone to extract the meaning of what I wanted to say or
point out that it makes zero sense, it would help......I just do what I do
and really find it hard to apply the actions to usable verbage.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

PS: Thanks for the kick in the head, well arse!