unresolved symbol request_module (2.4.0-test2)

From: Corin Anderson (corin@the4cs.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 10:52:21 EST

Hello.

  I'm trying to build and install a few things (sound support, fat fs) as
modules, but am failing. Specifically, soundcore.o, sound.o, and fat.o
all reference the symbol request_module, which is apparently not defined
anywhere -- at least, depmod says so (and, thus, these modules can't be
loaded by insmod or modprobe).

  I've enabled kmod in the kernel, and have "make clean ; make dep ; make
bzImage; make modules ; copy-the-kernel-to-/boot ; make modules_install ;
lilo ; reboot". Still, the problem persists.

Can anyone suggest anything? Should I try the make clean ; make dep
thing again? Should request_module be in an EXPORT_SYMBOL somewhere? Do
you want to see some log file or other output to help diagnose what's
going on here?

Oh, and, of course: The machine is a PII installed from Debian 2.2. I'm
presently running kernel 2.4.0-test2 and modutils 2.3.11-8 (the -8
courtesy of Debian).

Thanks,
Corey Anderson
corin@the4cs.com