Re: [RFC] What should go into /usr/include/linux?

From: ferret@phonewave.net
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 16:07:17 EST

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000625204722.14670D-100000@tarot.mentasm.org>
> ferret@phonewave.net (ferret@phonewave.net) wrote:
[snip]

> > For applications, compiling with the same headers the C library was
> > compiled with will prevent a possible point of failure.
>
> Apllications should NEVER use kernel headers. Period.

Specific example: Just before upgrading one of my machines, I wanted to
use a USB webcam with my machine. The v4l camera application (I think it
was w3cam, but not sure any more) wanted kernel interface to v4l
(/usr/include/linux/videodev.h) which of course I did not have. I
recompiled libc against a more recent set of headers, but I believe that
in turn broke other things that had been compiled previously. nntpcached
would no longer bind the NNTP port after this "upgrade"

> Linus camplained about whole idioticy of direct linux kernels usage in
> userspace programs.

[snip]

> there should be NO linux (and asm) subdirectories with copies of actual
> kernel headers (or symlinks to actual kernel headers) in /usr/include
>
> Ability to use such system was stated gold of GLibC 2. It's pity that you
> still can not do this :-(

How should this be brought up again?