Re: IMMUTABLE and APPEND-ONLY rationales

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 14:12:54 EST

Derek Martin <derek@cerberus.ne.mediaone.net> said:
> Yesterday, David Ford gleaned this insight:
> > > FACT: The Linux kernel DOES NOT USE a "TWO LAYER" (root & !root) security
> > > model.

Yes and no. The kernel bits for this are mostly in place (managinf
capabilities and ACLs in the filesystem is missing), almost none of the
userland stuff is done yet.

> > > Linux uses a capability system. All 'root' level
> > > privileges are divided into a capability set. There are
> > > currently 26 capability bits assigned, thus dividing root power
> > > into 67,108,863 possible access levels.

> Can you point me to where this is documented? I had no idea Linux had such
> a system...

For all intents and purposes, it hasn't (yet). Some of the fine(r) points
of how it should work are still being hammered out.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616