Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: Felix von Leitner (felix@convergence.de)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 19:40:16 EST

Thus spake Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net):
> All we need is guaranteed scheduling response. We don't need QOS
> guarantees for any other subsystems, for example (it would be nice,
> but its not necessary).

Oh yes, we do!

What good is a low latency response if there is no QoS to guarantee
enough CPU and memory? I don't consider locking memory pages and the
FIFO scheduler a valid solution to this, because a single misbehaving
process can cause a complete denial of service.

I find guaranteed disk and SCSI bus throughput much more important than
your MIDI stuff, because more people are burning CDs under Linux than
there are MIDI users on all operating systems combined ;-)

Felix