Re: xfree and devel kernels > 2.3.99-pre6

From: Pete Toscano (ptoscano@netsol.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 21:07:09 EST

thanks, keith,

i did get a console set up and what i found surprised me.

as a recap, i'm running a dual p3 600 machine (test2 smp kernel), with
512M ram, asus p2b-d mobo, and matrox g400 max video card.

when x locked up this time, i checked to make sure it was just as dead
as before... no keyboard response whatsoever (no capslock, no numlock,
no alt-sysreq) and no mouse movement. from another virtual console on
my console box, i tried pinging my locked up box. all pings died. i
couldn't ssh to it, _but_ i was able to log in from console and that
seemed to work just fine. killing all x-related processes didn't
release my keyboard and monitor though. i eventually had to reboot from
console.

this leads me to believe that:
a. sometime after 2.3.99-pre6 was released, my video card had a minor
stroke.
-or-
b. something in pre7 and above is triggering some bug in either x or the
g400 that causes the g400 to completely wedge.

could there be another possibility? does anyone have any ideas about
how i might be able to figure out which is true?

is there a software utility for resetting a g400?

thanks,
pete

--
Pete Toscano      p:sigsegv@psinet.com        w:ptoscano@netsol.com
GPG fingerprint: D8F5 A087 9A4C 56BB 8F78  B29C 1FF0 1BA7 9008 2736