Re: console_lock too early in printk???

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 03:27:49 EST

Chris Lattner writes:
> Why are we grabbing the console lock so early? Is it really neccesary
> there (I don't think so)? With lots of printk's, concurrancy is
> needlessly killed (vsprintf can take a relatively long time...)

Hint: do we care about the buffer that vsprintf is writing to? Do
we care that the messages could get corrupted? What's the point in
preventing two threads writing to the same memory space?

Generally, calling printk with pointers to user-memory is not a good
thing to do - think about why we have copy_from_user/get_user/
strncopy_from_user and friends. IMHO, you're calling printk in an
illegal way, so it won't behave nicely to you.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\