Re: Vojtech's via82cxxx.c failure report.

From: Marcelo de Paula Bezerra (mosca@roadnet.com.br)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 12:34:01 EST

Mark Hahn wrote:

> > Andre's code with via tunning enabled fails as well, and without tunnig
> > will let the drive as UDMA33 with only ocasional BadCRC messages...
> >
> > hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>
> just checking: you know that this is completely expected, normal
> and good behavior and indicates that your cabling is marginal?
> (failed CRC's just signal that the controller+drive have detected
> a corrupted transmission, and Linux will automatically retry.
> you can make them go away if you fix your cabling. ide cabling
> must be <= 18", with both ends plugged in, master/slave 6" apart.
> you can use the much-higher-quality udma66 cable (80 conductor)
> for all other modes of IDE to improve signal quality.)

I really would enjoy to change my cable to the 80conductor type, but it
is just not an option, you just can't find it where I live and import
fee's are as high as 60% and they do afect shipment costs as well.

This cable was used win UDMA33 sucessfuly on my old mother board that
died due to oxidation, it was based on SiS5513(el cheapo mb from
www.pcchips.com.tw) now I replaced it with a Soyo 5EH v1.2 and it
complains a lot.

--

Tekmetrics certified Master Linux Administrator http://www.tekmetrics.com/transcript.jsp?pid=97219