Re: Network Freeze-ups with 2.2.16

From: Markus Pfeiffer (profmakx.fmp@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 04:20:43 EST

Erik McKee wrote:

> Hello eveyone!
>
> I am experiencing recurrent network freezeups with stock 2.2.16. The
> system is UP Pentium 100 with a ne2000 isa compiled in the kernel as well
> as masq'ing, and 3c507 compiled as a module. The rest of the machine is
> responsive, only any traffic in or out on either NIC is completely
> stopped. After a few minutes, the network resumes normal operation with
> no need for reboot. There seem to be no entires in any of the log files
> or to the screen indicating the reason for the temporary freeze-up.
>
> Additional information available on request. I am willing to help
> diagnose the problem, if anyone has any suggestions.

Hi all,

I am experince similar problems on my alpha with de4x5 ( which works )
and rtl8139C ( which doesnt ).
My alpha is an 21164 Alcor system. On my Dual PIII System, everything
seems to work fine, here´s what I do:
I start up my alpha and force ping it with -s 32000 and network doesnt
respond on the rtl8139, but the other card ( with different address ) is
still responsive. now i can do ifconfig eth0 down / ifconfig eth0 up and
everthing works fine until a certain amount of time ( or bytes ?? ) has
gone through the rtl8139 or until I force ping it again ...

--
´ The light was brighter
' The grass was greener

profmakx.fmp@gmx.de