Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: David Schleef (ds@stm.lbl.gov)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 05:29:44 EST

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 03:29:46PM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:

> I don't like that at all. Adding a pile of extra "fast" syscalls is
> just too hackish. Just say: "if you go into the kernel, you lose RT".
> It's the thin edge of the wedge. Soon you'll be getting people to say
> "we need read(2) to keep RT priority".

They wouldn't technically be Linux system calls, but LXRT system
calls. They also don't tend to be any faster; they just happen
to be RT-safe.

The nice thing about RT-safe is that means it is thread-safe and
lock-free. So an RT-safe version of gettimeofday() could easily
be a replacement for the current gettimeofday. But that would
require real-time support in the kernel.

dave...