Re: Low Latency Patch

From: Vandoorselaere Yoann (yoann@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 06:25:10 EST

Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com> writes:

> On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps you run all the stock binaries on these distributions, I do
> > > not.
> >
> > I don't run stock binaries either, but most people do. Compilation flags
> > and most version skew won't ordinarily affect the placement of buffers in
> > stack frames anyway, so this at most buys you a tiny bit of extra security.
> > And adding a patch to the mainstream kernel so people like us are safe
> > (even if it was so in this case, which I very much doubt) while hurting
> > everybody else for nothing should not be an option. Ever.
>
> Something that would randomize the placement of the buffers in combination
> with a non-executable user stack area would make the exploit considerably more
> difficult.
>
> Security is an issue that needs to be addressed, and I personally don't
> believe any one thing can address it. You do everything you can do.
>
> I do review code, and I've found and fixed some exploits but I've also
> missed some. Unless fundamental changes are made to C and the standard
> libraries, people are going to continue to write bad code. Functions that
> write to buffers with no bounds, like gets() should be allowed to exist.

Ever heard about bound checking ?

> I can't use Stackguard on most of my machiens, because it is specific only
> to x86 and also to old versions of gcc.

At least, you can use libsafe on x86 machine.

> Someone here mentioned safelib's which I am not familiar with and would
> like to know more about.

search for libsafe on freshmeat.

[...]

> The Solar Design patch offers a few more layers.

yes, and non executable stack is really *not* a part of theses layer.

> It is not mutually
> exclusive with other security measures. Yes, I did follow the argument so do
> not point me at the archives. The majority arguing agaist it seem to not
> understand this very fundamental point.

<rant>

Now you're suggesting that people involving in some threads on lkml
are saying bullshit and do not know what they are talking about;
i've not seen any piece of code from you nor kernel nor user space...
i don't care, but if you think that what was said in such thread
is bullshit :

<quote>
The majority arguing agaist it seem to not
understand this very fundamental point.
</quote>

Or you didn't read the good thread
or you're simply an idiot.

</rant>

> I know Linus doesn't like ifdef's and I do actually understand that it
> makes the code very difficult to read and understand because you've got to know
> the state of a few dozen defines to know what code is being included or
> excluded.

That's not the problem,
non exec stack wasn't accepted because it give a false sence of security.

> But these capabilities shouldn't be ignored either. Maybe a fix would
> be to include them in the kernel aways and turn them on or off with something
> in /proc/sys so there are no ifdef's involved.

Yes, and bloat the kernel code, which is really the last thing to do.

--
                   -- Yoann,  http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~yoann/
     It is well known that M$ products don't call free() after a malloc().