Re: ANSI C clarifications, with citations

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 11:47:54 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Other machines included PR1ME computers which used a 32-bit word
> > > pointer, and a 48-bit byte pointer.
> >
> > How did C on those machines implement a void *?
>
> I cant speak for the old pre mips PR1ME but for the HLH Orion that was word
> addressed a void * was a char * and a char * was an address shifted left 2
> with the byte number in the low 2 bits.
>
> You really did have to get your casting right on those.

Huh? You mean that you have larger than 16 bit pointers on Pr1me?

Gee, I'm getting old... ;-)

I just checked: Those 48bit pointers are actually a 12 bit segment number,
16 bit word address and a bit number (5 bits?) -> 1Gbyte addressing space.

                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********