low latency: thanks

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@op.net)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 19:30:19 EST

I know there has been a lot of heat and light here over the low
latency issue. I just wanted to write and thank all the members of the
list who have contributed to the exchanges. Speaking solely for
myself, I got precisely what I wanted from it, and while I don't agree
with everything thats been said (gasp!), I think that everyone has
offered useful and informative opinions.

The task ahead of those who want 1-5ms scheduling latencies is clearly
to measure exactly where the problems are, and propose specific
changes starting with the worst cases. Hopefully, as the summer (US)
progresses, we'll get to that, and then by fall/winter (US), it will
be possible to see just how far the acceptance rate of such changes
has addressed the issue. If we still have problems, we'll have to set
up a maintained patch for the current kernel so that such performance
is available to people who don't need to be concerned about long term
design and maintainance of Linux.

Thanks,
--p