Re: Warnings compiling modules on test3-pre2

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 16:58:17 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> Pavel Roskin wrote:
> >
> > 3c59x.c:2516: warning: `vortex_init' defined but not used
> > 3c59x.c:2563: warning: `vortex_cleanup' defined but not used
>
> Ugh. I use gcc 2.7.2.3.
>
> This has been discussed before - Jeff, what's the story here? Is
>
> static int __init foo_init (void) {}
>
> the correct way to declare a module destructor?

yep :)

> Is there a standard,
> magical workaround to prevent the warning?

See
http://gtf.org/garzik/kernel/files/patches/2.4/2.4.0-test3/init-2.4.0.3.2.patch.gz
Creds to Jakub Jalinek not me..

Hopefully this will get fixed in gcc 3.0 (if not already), and we can
change the patch to use the current version for __GNUC__ >= 3, the Jakub
version for current compilers, and the init_module shim for older
compilers.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              |
Building 1024            | Make my funk the p-funk.