Re: NMI oopser without APIC?

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 21:40:40 EST

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 09:59:29AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
> I suspect the answer is no but need to confirm. Is there any way of
> using the NMI oopser on a UP system without an APIC? /proc/cpuinfo
> flags do not include apic.

Most newer systems (e.g. newer Intel chipsets) should have a global APIC,
but it is usually not enabled because the BIOS doesn't supply the necessary
MP tables. I guess it could be turned on somehow, but it would be probably
very board specific.

You could also just put a button onto the NMI pin in a unused ISA slot
and trigger NMI manually or use one of the supported watchdog cards
which do it with an timer.

-Andi