Re: Low Latency Patch

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 21:22:50 EST

Gabor Lenart <lgb@veszprog.hu> said:

[...]

> Non-executable stack of Solar Designer's patch stop almost all of tried
> exploits on our servers. Yes, it's possible to trick it (not too hard),
> but great percent of exploits are the common ones which can be denied by
> this patch. We must think on real not on theories.

Just as Linus said: It helps as long as it isn't common. If it becomes
common, exploits will work around it. In other words, not useful in the
mainstream kernel, valuable as an add-on.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616