Re: 2.4.0-test2-ac2 FAT oops

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 02:29:56 EST

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Samuli Kaski wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> > BadCRC is just a report that your drive/controller believe your ide cable
> > is bogus. nothing more or less. it's not harmful, since Linux retries
> > such failed transactions. and the solution is just to fix the cabling
> > (ie, <=18", both ends plugged in, and use the new 80-conductor cable for
> > udma66 (doesn't hurt on lower modes, either))
> >
> > it seems like BadCRC reports most often result from people running udma66
> > with normal 40-conductor cables. this can happen when a driver update
> > adds udma66 functionality...
>
> I run the ATA/66 drive with the cable Abit provided with the BP6
> package. If it's bogus, please do tell so I can get my problem off l-k.

No it is not bogus, it is a hardware issue that the kernel can not fix.
It is dirty noise on the ATA BUS that is introduced in various ways.

PCB traces are to long, between the ATA controller and the IDC40 or there
are signal ground problems. Next there could be weak contact on the IDC40
pins and the header in ay of the three connection points. Regardless
where the signal skew error is located, it is an error that is pure
hardware only. This statement is subject to the clocking rate of the
transfer speed. If U66 gives errors try U44.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy