Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 22:18:10 EST

Matthew Hawkins <matthew@topic.com.au> said:

[...]

> Perhaps the development model could shift to one where as small portions
> of the kernel get fixed, its backported to the current stable series.

You never noticed it happening all the time, it seems. But kernels from
different series _are_ different inside, so backporting is _hard_ once they
have diverged a bit.

> I realise large structural changes could prevent this in a lot of cases,
> but it'd be neat if the 2.4 VM was "good enough" and got replaced later
> down the track with the rearchitected version.

I'd say that is impossible for something that central in the OS.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616