Re: Sound card IDE interface.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 01:12:57 EST

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Rui Sousa wrote:

>> Is it possible to use the IDE interface on a Sound Blaster Live
>> PnP card as a third IDE interface?
>
>There is no such thing...

That is possible.. I do not have the card, nor have I seen
it. Someone else has one and figures they can plug IDE hard
disks into it. I doubted that it was an IDE interface to begin
with, but... who's to argue with someone that KNOWS that it
is. I figured I'd find out anyway before his HD's end up with
blown buffers.

>You probably meant Sound Blaster Pro/16 or one of the other
>variants.

No. It is an SB Live OEM card.

>Get the sound card right, use the right module and check it's
>options to enable the IDE interface.

So I'm assuming then that the SBLive 40 pin interface is NOT
IDE? Is it then an older Mitsumi or Sony interface?

Seems odd that a modern sound card would support ancient CDROM
hardware... That is why I assumed that it might actually be real
IDE.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

I've overclocked my keyboard interface. It's quite messy dipping my hands into the mineral oil, but *MAN* is my keyboard ever fast now! - Anonymous Coward