Re: ext3-0.0.2e released

From: Nick Cabatoff (ncc@cs.mcgill.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 14:12:22 EST

On Jul 06, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 22:56:31 +1000
> From: Andrew Morton <andrewm@uow.edu.au>
>

> > 2) Even with journaling filesystems, there will be cases you will need
> > to run some kind of filesystem consistency checker.
>
> Can this be done while the fs is online?

<snip multics reminiscence>

> In practice, though, I'm not aware of any filesystem consistency checker
> since the days of Multics that could do this.

There's one for UFS/FFS now on the way in FreeBSD 5.0: Kirk McKusick
just released alpha code to do what he calls snapshots, which I'm told
will enable background fscking, among other things. See
http://people.freebsd.org/~mckusick/snap.tgz (or the freebsd-arch
archives) if you're curious.