Re: ext3-0.0.2e released

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 17:05:44 EST

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

[FSCK-ing a live filesystem]

> That's not a full filesystem consistency checker, though.

If "as an intelligent being" I want to check a live filesystem, I just
run fsck (yes, with the -n option), and then wait for the errors to
come in. Usually it's just a few.

Then there are just a few files/directories/blocks to reexamine. And
the "errors" can usually be easily traced. Say "/var/log/messages"
just grew a block larger.

Now if this approach still works on a busy mail server, is beyond me.

                        Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********