Re: Problems with Compaq Proliant and 2.4.0-test series

From: Mario Mikocevic (mozgy@hinet.hr)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 06:03:10 EST

Hi,

> > I have a COMPAQ Proliant dual proc PC and I have a lot of problems ->
> >
> > 2.
> > SMP motherboard not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
> >
> > meaning that second CPU isn't booted.
>
> You need to set APIC table to FULL in SCU. Use your smartstart CD to
> do this (set OS to linux if you have one of the newer versions, otherwise
> UNIXWARE).
>
> What Proliant server is this?

It's a Compaq ProLiant 6500 (P11) !

Well, it seems that #1 and #2 are corelated. Now, here's even more fun things ->

if I boot test2 with OS setting set to OTHER server boots as UP and eepro100 works,

if I boot test3 (pre2, pre5 and pre7 tested) with OS on OTHER server boots as UP but
   eepro100 spits 'eth0: card reports no RX buffers.' with endless slow stream of
   'eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!' !?

if I boot any of those test[23] kernels with BIOS OS setting to Unixware (set as 7
   I don't know if it makes difference) server boots as SMP but eepro100 is deaf with
   following errors :
        NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
        eth0: Transmit timed out: status e050 0c00 at 0/28 command 0001a000.

now some interesting things ->
if I boot with 'noapic' SCSI card (Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly NCR) 53c875 (rev 14))
   timeouts and server never boots.

Please help,
if all of you thinks that my problems are only for linux-net (or whatever
the proper name is) I appologize for bringing it up only here.

ps
        all relevant information is available on request.

--
Mario Mikočević (Mozgy)
My favourite FUBAR ...