Re: PATCH: new stable [sym|ncr]53c8xx driver version.

From: Gérard Roudier (groudier@club-internet.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 16:36:18 EST

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Gérard Roudier wrote:

> I just sent Alan a patch against pre-2.2.17-10 that upgrades sym53c8xx
> and ncr53c8xx drivers to their latest respective assumed stable version.

The patch has been refused for the reason it was too large.
But it has been accepted as a candidate for 2.2.18.

> The patch is available from the following location:
>
> ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/drivers/linux/stable/
> sym-1.7.0-ncr-3.4.0-for-pre-2.2.17-10.patch.gz

A tarball that contains full drivers files is also available from
the same location and directory:

         sym-1.7.0-ncr-3.4.0.tar.gz

I have added the following file to the tar file:

Linux-stable 2.2.X for X <= 17 has an old sym53c8xx driver version
that does not support the SYM53C1010 Ultra-160 PCI SCSI chip.
Recent sym53c8xx drivers since version 1.6b support the SYM53C1010
PCI SCSI controllers.

I have proposed sym-1.7.0/ncr-3.4.0 for inclusion in pre-2.2.17-10,
but this has been refused. The patch against 2.2.17 is large and
only small patches are accepted at the time of 2.2.17-10. I have
been said that the reason is that 2.2.17 is expected to be
`rock solid' and thus large patches are not accepted.

Without an updated driver, installation of linux-2.2.17 on disks
connected to SYM53C1010 will end up with the system staying `rock
solid' on the installation CD/ROM. :-)
I hope that sym-1.7.0 will allow linux-2.2.17 to run `rock solid' as
user expect. But, unfortunately, I haven't resource for providing all
installation diskette images for all existing distributions. And since
the only fair attitude can only be to provide all, I will not provide
any, but allow Linux packagers to provide additionnal installation
material for their product to install with a SYM53C1010.
Thus this tarball that contains updated sym/ncr drivers.
(Patches containing sym-1.6b are also available from LSI ftp site and
these driver version also supports the SYM53C1010).

I also plan to provide a clean patch against linux-2.2.17 when this
kernel version will be available (obviously if I am not in vacation
when this will occur).

The updated driver bundle has been accepted as a candidate for linux-2.2.18.
But if linux-2.4 gets stable enough and linux-2.2.17 will be `rock solid'
as expected, it may be guessable that linux-2.2.18 will get low priority.

Anyway, recent drivers will have to be quite reliable for linux-2.2.18
using any SYM53C8XX chip type. So, trying these drivers and reporting
problems if any can help a lot.

Installing sym-1.7.0/ncr-3.4.0:
-----------------------------
As result of untaring sym-1.7.0-ncr-1.4.0.tar.gz, the following files
should have been created in the directory `sym-1.7.0-ncr-3.4.0):

        INSTALL.txt (this file)
        ChangeLog.ncr53c8xx
        ChangeLog.sym53c8xx
        README.ncr53c8xx
        ncr53c8xx.c
        ncr53c8xx.h
        sym53c8xx.c
        sym53c8xx.h
        sym53c8xx_comm.h
        sym53c8xx_defs.h

The driver should work on linux-2.2.X for X >= 14, linux-2.3.X for X >= 51.
It should also work on earliest linux-2.4.X (X low enough).

Installation of the drivers proceeds as follows:

1) Copy (or move) all drivers files to the drivers/scsi subdirectory
   of your linux kernel tree. You may also backup previous driver files
   if you want to be able to revert the driver update.
   Usually, the directory to copy the file is:
          /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi

2) Reconfigure your kernel options if needed, using `make menuconfig',
   for example.

3) Build and install the new kernel and/or driver modules depending on
   the drivers having been configured as module or statically linked.

   Gerard.