Re: Gigabit NIC question.

From: Jes Sorensen (jes@linuxcare.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 10:43:52 EST

>>>>> "Donald" == Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> writes:

Donald> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, [euc-kr] Kim DaeHo wrote:
>> Could anyone explain me how to port gigabit NIC driver from the
>> 2.2.x to 2.0.36 ?
Donald> ..
>> PS. I'm so sorry that my last mail is encoded base64.

Donald> That echoing silence wasn't from bad mail encoding, it was
Donald> because demonstrating an interest in backwards compatibility
Donald> or API stability pretty much disqualifies someone from future
Donald> kernel development.

Not at all, base64 encoded email goes naturally straight to /dev/null
unread.

On the subject, porting a current Gigabit driver to 2.0.x will be a
fair amount of work. I had originally tought about porting the acenic
driver to 2.0.x but fairly early on decided it simply wasn't worth the
effort due to the not very exciting SMP support in 2.0.x and the fact
that the API has changed significantly between 2.0.x and
2.4.x. Keeping things compatible between 2.2.x and 2.4.x is hard
enough work as it is.

Kim, if you want Gigabit Ethernet I'd strongly recommend you consider
porting whatever it is you have that requires 2.0.x onto 2.2.x or
later.

Jes