Re: Problems with Compaq Proliant and 2.4.0-test series

From: Jeff McNeil (jmcneil@interland.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 12:22:36 EST

On the 1850R's atleast, setting OS to Unixware locks the SMP spec in at 1.1, configing
anything other than Unixware 7 will set the SMP spec to 1.4.

You should have a "Smart Start" CD, which will give you more granularity when it comes to
configuring your Compaq BIOS.

There are other changes as well that the "OS setting" controls, unfortunatly, I don't
remember off hand what exactly they are. There are some PCI bus specifics in there, if I
remember correctly... Something about "Hot Add" of resources perhaps?

Thanks,

Jeff

"Richard B. Johnson" wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Torben Mathiasen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 10 2000, Mario Mikocevic wrote:
> > > Well, it seems that #1 and #2 are corelated. Now, here's even more fun things ->
> > >
> > > if I boot test2 with OS setting set to OTHER server boots as UP and eepro100 works,
> > >
> > > if I boot test3 (pre2, pre5 and pre7 tested) with OS on OTHER server boots as UP but
> > > eepro100 spits 'eth0: card reports no RX buffers.' with endless slow stream of
> > > 'eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!' !?
> > >
> > > if I boot any of those test[23] kernels with BIOS OS setting to Unixware (set as 7
> > > I don't know if it makes difference) server boots as SMP but eepro100 is deaf with
> > > following errors :
> > > NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> > > eth0: Transmit timed out: status e050 0c00 at 0/28 command 0001a000.
>
> Some BIOS(es) fail to put a usable address in the PCI registers for
> some devices. For instance, if you have a shared-memory buffer that
> is Nk in length, it must be on a Nk boundary! Some BIOSes ignore this
> which may prevent the first portion of an allocated buffer from being
> addressed. See if you can get a BIOS upgrade. If not, see if your driver
> can take a parameter (using append=) from LILO.
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson
>
> Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).
>
> "Memory is like gasoline. You use it up when you are running. Of
> course you get it all back when you reboot..."; Actual explanation
> obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.
>
> -

Jeff McNeil
Sr. Systems Engineer