how does one enable broadcast icmp echo for ethernet aliases

From: Ron Flory (ron.flory@adtran.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 14:02:15 EST

hi-

 I've resorted to contacting this list only after trying to find the
answer myself, to no avail...

 We have a 2.2.14 (and a 2.2.17prex) machine with several aliases
configured for its ethernet port (We are trying to simulate several
machines with this single Linux system).

 One of our key apps (not written here) uses broadcast pings to
determine which machines are present on the local subnet (yes I know, a
BAD idea, but we're stuck with it...).

 It appears Linux 2.2.x does not reply to broadcast pings on each
aliased network device. I've looked into, and experimented with the
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ settings, but nothing there appears to make any
difference.

 all feedback appreciated.

 thanks-

ron