Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

From: Graham Stoney (greyham@research.canon.com.au)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 03:29:09 EST

I've got a couple of questions I've often pondered regarding the optimal mix
of library size, static vs dynamic linking and root filesystem choice to
minimise RAM requirements in Embedded Linux systems, and I'm wondering if
anyone here can enlighten me please:

I know the Linux ramdisk uses the buffer cache, but when the kernel exec's a
file from the ramdisk, is it smart enough to map the virtual address space for
.text and .data directly into the buffer cache without copying?

Can it do a similar job when "loading" a shared library? And if so, what
impact do shared library fixups have on the memory space used by the code of a
dynamically linked executable? Are these likely to cause a significant number
of pages to be copied-on-write?

Thanks,
Graham

--