Re: IBM Rapid Access Keyboard

From: Dennis Bjorklund (dennisb@cs.chalmers.se)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 06:45:29 EST

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> > I have a Rapid Access keyboard with some (14) extra buttons and
> > two more leds then a normal pc keyboard. To activate the extra buttons
> > one have to send the sequence ec ea 71 ec ea 71 to the keyboard. Once
> > that is done the extra keys generate normal e0xx sequences.
>
> Good. Which sequences?

Well, the first one was a bit wrong. I got it a from someone on
internet a couple of months ago and have had it on a post-it note
sticked to my monitor since then. Now I have had time to play with it.

It turned out that all that is needed to turn the keyboard on is
the code ea 71. Everything else was garbage. To turn of
the extra keys you send ea 70.

There are 14 keys:

  Suspend: e0 25
     Help: e0 26
    Prg 1: e0 32
    Prg 2: e0 17
    Prg 3: e0 30
    Prg 4: e0 2e
  Play CD: e0 19
  CD Stop: e0 24
 CD Pause: e0 22
    Vol -: e0 1e
    Vol +: e0 29
Prev song: e0 23
Next song: e0 21
     Mute: e0 12

The suspend and mute button have extra leds on them.

These are controled by the sequence eb 00 xx
where the xx controles the leds. Bit 2 controls the suspend led and
bit 5 controles the mute led.

That's all that is needed. Now I really need someone to help me
put it into linux so I can use the keyboard in the future without
much hassel. It's easy to hack something together that works for me
but it's better if it's integrated into the standard kernel. Then I don't
have to patch and every one else can use it to.

/Dennis