Re: IBM Rapid Access Keyboard

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 08:00:58 EST

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 01:45:29PM +0200, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

> There are 14 keys: ...

Thanks! Info archived at
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-2.html#ss2.18

> That's all that is needed. Now I really need someone to help me
> put it into linux so I can use the keyboard in the future without
> much hassel. It's easy to hack something together that works for me
> but it's better if it's integrated into the standard kernel. Then I don't
> have to patch and every one else can use it too.

There is a quite large variety of keyboards these days; putting stuff
in the kernel is meaningless. You'll have to use the setkeycodes
utility to assign keycodes to these 14 keys. See also
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/kbd-14.html
Usually keycodes 89-95 and 112-118 and 120-127 are free to be assigned.

Concerning these LEDs, you can patch the kernel to automatically
set/clear them when appropriate, or you can send the required
codes from userspace. For example, if you use these keys to control
a CD player, like the labels suggest, then this cdplay program
should listen to these keys, and set LEDs when desired.
Probably the program does not exist yet. People do not usually write
programs that require one particular keyboard.

At present there is no good interface that would allow a user space
utility to request part of the keyboard. And I do not know any userspace
utilities today that would profit from the possibility.

Andries