Re: Gigabit NIC question.

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 22:09:50 EST

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Warren Young wrote:

> "Christopher E. Brown" wrote:
> >
> > Right about the network io though, it will easily max a single
> > 100Mbit interface, but won't go past 180Mbit total (box has 2 100Mbit
> > FD interfaces).
>
> Am I missing something? 180 Mbit/s is about all you can expect out of
> two 100 Mbit/s NICs. No one actually gets 100 Mbit/s. 90 Mbit/s is
> closer to reality, and then only with Ethernet switches and high-quality
> cabling.

Erm? Any cabling that is not capible of reaching full wire rate (i.e. it's
cause bit errors) 24day/365.2x/daysyr is garbage and should be distroyed
right away.

Of course we're talking about a full duplex, switched network here (he
mentions the dual systems in question were used in a cluster). As far as I
recall you should be able to get 12.01MB/sec on 100mbit ethernet.

I'd start screaming on Linux-kernel if I typically saw less then
10.5MB/sec application to application level performance on switched 100bt.