Re: OOM in 2.2.14

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 10:05:50 EST

On 13 Jul 2000 jmcmullan@linuxcare.com wrote:

> Just to be a frick'n idiot, why not just have the kernel
> issue messages to the kernel log when swap space becomes low,
> (configurable via /proc), and have a user-land daemon monitor
> for that, and Do The Right Thing(TM)?

Issueing warnings when we're low on swap is probably a
good idea. Just send in the patch and it'll probably get
integrated...

> Would take a lot of the OOM cruft out of the kernel, and
> would alloe pop-up messages, selectable kill-this-app dialogs,
> AI systems, whatever.

This is lunacy. If we're out of memory, how can we allocate
the memory to do a pop-up message? And where should that
menu appear? On what console of which user? What if we're
a webserver at 4 AM?

A semi-intelligent OOM killer inside the kernel is perfectly
doable, however, since that doesn't need to allocate any memory
to do its work. A patch for this is readily available and with
a bit of luck it has already been integrated into the latest
2.2.17pre kernel...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/