Re: Multithreaded TCP/IP stack

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 15:18:28 EST

I have been told by multiple software venders (and from sun) that solaris
does not have a multi-threaded TCP/IP stack, therefor if your software
spends almost all it's time in the stack (router/firewall/load
balancing/other low level stuff) buying a SMP box gains you very little
performance. I tend to believe this as these are the folks who would be
selling the more expensive SMP box if it was better :-)

As noted in another messaeg Linux changed from this model in 2.3 so when
2.4 is finally released it will gain significantly in high traffic
situations.

David Lang